Orangeburg Massacre is a band out of Hawthorne, California. It consists of Matt(drums), Brandon(vocals), Anton(Bass), Hector(Guitar), and Alex(Guitar). I was lucky enough to catch Matt for most of the interview and Brandon and Alex as well after the sold out show they played with as hope dies on October 8, 2004.
How did the band form?
Matt: Well two local bands broke up and 3 mutual friends emerged form that. They had just met each other and started practicing and became a band. We all wanted to do it so we’ve been doing it.
When did you guys decide to become a band?
Matt: About 10 or 11 months ago. It was sometime last summer.
How did you guys come up with the name?
Matt: Brandon read some book called Orangeburg Massacre and decided he wanted to name the band that and we were all cool with it.
What genre of music do you guys do?
Matt: I guess you could call it metal core mixed with grind core. Its just what we’re all into. We’re not into just breakdowns and simple stuff so its interesting and exciting...
Energetic?
Matt: yes, energetic
Energetic to the point that Brandon Can’t stand still for more than 5 seconds?
Matt: I love that....
It was just driving me crazy
Matt: its like those old cartoons where the cat just paces in the cage and goes crazy its funny.
So what’s the first thing you guys do besides taking down equipment after a show?
Matt: Catch our breath, cool down. Basically we get up, get our shit off the stage, talk to friends, and mingle...
And get interviewed you can’t forget that
Matt: yeah get interviewed
What is the funniest thing that’s ever happened at a show?
Matt: There’s been funny things I just can’t remember them.........There was this one time that Brandon fell through a glass window.
What is up with band members falling through windows?
Matt: I don’t know
How did Brandon fall through a window?
Matt: When? How?
Matt: He just couldn’t stop, He just went flying through and got right back up
Was he running or....?
Matt: He was doing the pacing thing
Really fast pacing?
Matt: Yeah and he couldn’t stop and went right through
Where was this at?
Matt: Hogue Barmichaels
What’s the most embarrassing thing that’s ever happened at a show?
Matt: Nothing really embarrassing has happened. Nothing like oh god! Just mic failures and broken strings but that happens.
What’s the best thing to see at a show?
Matt: People coming up afterwards talking about.....when they like really listen to the music and its not just the insane ones like you guys do the same shit as everyone else. That’s the best part.
What band would you love to play with and why?
Matt: Any band in the world? The Mars Volta. They’re fucking awesome because they’re my heroes.
Alex: Yeah you can’t fuck with them. Converge, They’re insane.
What is you guys’ favorite song to play and why?
Matt: The new one with no title because it shows progression.
Brandon: Superstart Saga. I’m actually proud of the lyrics and I’ve never been proud of lyrics before in my life because they tell a story there’s actually a purpose. Its not just lets see how many big words I can write.
Awww you don’t do that?
Brandon: I use to
Oh you just disappoint me there...
Brandon: All our songs tell stories. Superstart Saga is about a big stalker.
So you seriously fell through a window?
Brandon: At Hogue Barmichaels? I didn’t fall through it, I ran into it. Its still not there. We went there and played again and it still wasn’t there.
What’s the one thing that everyone who listen to you guys should know?
Matt: We’re the best live band they’ll ever see in their life without a doubt.
Brandon: That we’re awesome
Of you’re genre or overall
Brandon: We’re gods....
Well I’ll counter that. The band I’m going to see tomorrow night’s pretty awesome.
Brandon: What band is that?
Suburban Legends
Brandon: Oh My GOD!
Complete difference I know
Brandon: They’re terrible, they’re happy. I hate happy.
Well then you should hate me too because I’m happy right?
Brandon: Aw sweet you want to be mortal enemies?
Alright
Brandon: Alright cool
So I can now say that I am mortal enemies with you?
Brandon: Yeah alright.
Who writes all the songs or comes up with the song ideas?
Brandon: I write all the lyrics because everyone else is too lazy.
Hector writes the guitar riffs and we jam on that and decide what’s good and what’s crap.
What do you guys think makes the band more unique than others?
Matt: Hector
Brandon: Anton’s beard. Anton’s fucking beard that’s what it is.
Anything else?
Brandon: Well I have a pretty sweet ass.
What or who is your biggest influence and why?
Matt: Josh Frieze he’s the drummer of The Vandals and A Perfect Circle.
Who is your hero and why?
Matt: Josh Frieze because he’s a drum whore.
Check out Orangeburg Massacre online: http://www.orangeburgmassacre.com http://www.hxcmp3.com/bands/2253 http://www.myspace.com/orangeburgmassacre Interview done by April Gilbert contact her at AMGilbert4203@yahoo.com or April@scuffedculture.net
Gone To Earth Interview
Gone To Earth consists of band members: Josh Reiger (bass), Marcus Klavan (vocalist), Jon Maisel (guitar), Voley Martin (drums), and DJ SKuBa: Matt Litwin (electronics). Gone To Earth is a band out of Long Island, NY that formed in 2001. Band Members being interviewed: DJ SKuBa and Josh Reiger
How did Gone To Earth form in 2001?
Josh: Well, my senior year of high school our guitarist Jon sat in front of me in English class. One day I asked him if he wanted to play one day and he said sure. Then we started a band only it was a different band shortly after, we got Matt to join. About a year later Voley joined and then another 2 years after Marcus joined. So it’s taken 3 years to form.
How did you pick the name?
Josh: It might have been random
DJ SKuBa: The name was picked random. It sounded good at the time but now its not that great.
Josh: It was random we had no idea of what else to do. It just kind of happened.
DJ SKuBa: I don’t think there's a meaning behind it all.
What exact genre is the band?
DJ SKuBa: electronic rock
Why did you guys choose to do that genre?
DJ SKuBa: Its freaking cool. I hate emo kids all they do is sit and whine about shit.
Josh: She might like emo
DJ SKuBa: She doesn’t like emo
Josh: Do you?
What?
Josh: Do you like emo?
Honestly there are 2 emo bands that I will ever listen to but altogether no I don’t like emo
Josh: Basically we have Matt who does electronics and stuff it just became this
DJ SKuBa: Also a big thing is that its hard to find a small band who does this you could probably name off the top of your head a ton of middle sized local bands that do punk or emo crap like that. The difference is that we have electronics and stuff.
How excited are all of you to be opening for Incubus?
Josh: who told you that?
Voley, Jon, and Matt all told me
Josh: oh ok then I guess they’re not lying.
DJ SKuBa: We’re not lying
Josh: I guess they’re not liars. Honestly, I haven’t been able to really do any schoolwork or concentrate on anything except sit in my room and think about how we’re opening for Incubus. I-I-I words just can’t fit into description on how I feel.
DJ SKuBa: For me it’s different. I'm kind of like all right we’re opening that's fine and freaking dandy. I’m stoked about it but I’m like what's next? I’m a pessimist sort of like what’s next? Once the show is over I don’t want to be like what's next and have that be the only thing we ever did. I want to have more like this what’s next kind of pain in the ass. So I’m trying to move on trying to get more stuff like this. I’m excited I guess I mean yeah we’re not going to fuck up or anything.
Josh: no, no way. Failure’s not an option. We’re excited but we’re also nervous about us being at our end or we’ll be able to move on after this.
You guys will do fine.
Josh: I mean you know how many bands actually make it you know.
I know you guys have played shows before. Since before you got Marcus so what’s the funniest thing that has ever happened at a show?
DJ SKuBa: you want the funniest or the most embarrassing? Because I can tell you a lot of embarrassing things.
Josh: well, I don’t know.
How bout we go with funniest first?
Josh: Well I guess we were playing this show at the downtown in New York City, an open mic night, and we got this old guy
DJ SKuBa: Old guy ha...
Josh: This like 80 year old guy who played spoons to come on stage with us and play. That was pretty funny. And then this kid this kid
DJ SKuBa: Knocked over my shit
Josh: like mooned like got on the stage and took off his pants next to the guy who was playing the spoons. It was interesting.
DJ SKuBa: Then everyone ran and knocked my shit over
Josh: Yeah everyone got on stage and started knocking our shit over.
DJ SKuBa: Um as far as embarrassing, I’d say Dublin’s Pub song ..1 no guitars
Josh: oh yeah we had a show over the summer where our guitar player being the genius that he is forgot to take his guitar off of mute and didn’t realize it during the whole first song.
DJ SKuBa: The whole first song he’s playing and dancing around and no one could hear it.
Josh: yeah that was pretty embarrassing
Which guitarist?
Josh: Oh we only have one that would be Jon
DJ SKuBa: the great communicator
Oh....
DJ SKuBa: oh
Josh: yeah
The one I originally started talking to in the band ok
DJ SKuBa: yeah
What’s the best thing that’s happened at a show?
DJ SKuBa: a big turnout
Josh: Yeah we outsold the keyboard player from Dream Theatre when we opened up for him Derek Sherinian. That was pretty cool I guess. For me, the coolest part is getting the free beer. Honestly.
DJ SKuBa: Oh yeah
Josh: Its really cool to play in front of people and to see people’s reactions.
DJ SKuBa: Yeah...
Josh: That’s really the best part
What is your favorite song to play live and why?
Josh: well of our songs or covers?
How about your songs
DJ SKuBa: And you say
Josh: yeah I like that song it’s called and you say. It’s not on our demo or anything yet. I think its a stupid name but its fun to play live and very easy. It has a cool breakdown and a cool chorus and its fun to play. Well one of our older songs Eight, which is on the ep
DJ SKuBa: you have the cd right?
Yes I do, I’m listening to a tape I made of it right now actually
DJ SKuBa: Why’d you make a tape?
So that when I go out to mow my lawn I can sit there and blare it because we don’t have a cd player just a tape player out there.
Josh: it’s a real good reason, obviously that's the best thing to do
DJ SKuBa: I should do that mowing my lawn
Josh: yeah mowing the lawn listening to me great.
Yeah it’s actually at song ..6 The slow pretty one
DJ SKuBa: oh god!
Josh: Oh yeah?
Ha Ha! I like those reactions there
DJ SKuBa: It’s so goddamned gushy!
Josh: I like that song it just always gets messed up live
DJ SKuBa: The best song that people give the best reactions to is Tomorrow everybody likes that for some reason
Yeah well I’ll be the one that doesn’t like that one because I like songs 1 and 6 Break Outside and Next To Me
DJ SKuBa: Total opposites
Josh: yeah
Well I’m very contradictory like that
DJ SKuBa: I can see
Well everyone out here in California that’s heard the cd likes Next To Me
Josh: oh yeah?
Mmmmhmmmm
Josh: well if we ever went out there we’d play it
What band would you love to play with?
Josh: Incubus
Ok any other bands other than Incubus?
DJ SKuBa: Id like to play with Linkin Park, Rage Against the Machine
Josh: Velvet Revolver would be cool
DJ SKuBa: Basically any band that’s bigger than us that we could chill with
Josh: I would love to play with like a classic rock band you know like opening up for Floyd or something would be cool
DJ SKuBa: Everyone has their favorites
Josh: That's obviously never going to happen so yeah
So what’s your biggest influence or influences?
Josh: I think everybody would say something else um yeah, I don’t think I even know what mine is
Well since I’m basing the interview off the two of you what are your personal influences?
DJ SKuBa: basically we influence everybody
Josh: Incubus my personal, honestly the only reason I started playing was Metallica although nothing we play sounds anything like them They’re the reason I started playing or Guns N Roses
DJ SKuBa: Um I don’t know Linkin Park, Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, A lot of techno stuff, Executioners are good I mean every song is kind of based off somebody else.
Josh: It depends on what time of the week you ask the question
DJ SKuBa: Serious
Who is your personal hero and why?
Josh: My personal hero? This is going to sound so stupid but my dad
It’s not stupid
Josh: Because I guess anything that I’m becoming in academics or anything else is just because of his influence I have his work ethic I’m getting older now and this is going to sound so stupid but becoming a man its good to have a good influence and uh my dad has helped me along in that way.
DJ SKuBa: Ha when I was young it use to be Spiderman
Josh: was that a good answer?
That was a very good answer
DJ SKuBa: I’m going to have to go with Josh’s answer I’m not going to be able to top that
C’mon SKuBa
DJ SKuBa: I’m not going to answer that one.
All right, What’s the first thing you guys do after playing a show?
Josh and DJ SKuBa: Take down our equipment
Ok other than take down your equipment what do you guys do?
DJ SKuBa: Yell at each other for what we did wrong
Josh: yeah we go and get high
DJ SKuBa: or go home and get angry
Josh: after the Incubus show I’m going to get as drunk as humanly possible without dying. We assess how we did We tend to hang out with a group of people after tends to be at my house we just go back and play beer pong and chill out you know just relax.
OK what do you think makes the band more unique than any other band?
Josh: electronics
DJ SKuBa: a little more electronics and bass than any other bands
Josh: honestly I’d have to say electronics because of the abundance that we have in there
What's the one thing that everybody who listens to you should know?
Josh: We don’t sound like Linkin Park We’re not Linkin Park
DJ SKuBa: We’re not Linkin Park
Josh: We’re not Linkin Park period
DJ SKuBa: they’re angry they have more rap
Josh: just because we have electronics and a DJ does not mean we’re Linkin Park. We started off before Linkin Park came out.
DJ SKuBa: I’m going to tell you a little secret here we wrote a song named song ..5 before Linkin Park came out that sounds exactly like “Numb” think about it
Josh: we’re not Linkin Park. We’re Not Linkin Park. That’s it.
I take it you guys get the are you Linkin Park thing a lot
Josh: Like every day, every time we play people come up to us and tell us we sound like Linkin Park
DJ SKuBa: Let me tell you why get this the reason why we get compared to Linkin Park I figured this out in the past week or two is name one band that sounds like new Found Glory. Good Charlotte, Sum 41, Yellowcard. All these pop emo punk bands. There’s a ton of them and they all sound alike. There are metal bands and all that shit like that and punk bands but name one band that sounds like Linkin Park. There is nobody. You could say Incubus but they’re more funk. You could say Limp Bizkit they’re not they’re heavier they’re not like Linkin Park. They’re not as electronic not as melodic so there’s no one competing with them so who else to compare to? That’s why we get compared to them.
Josh: we’re not Linkin Park
DJ SKuBa: WE’RE NOT LINKIN PARK DAMNIT!
Who writes all the songs or comes up with the ideas for the songs?
DJ SKuBa: I’ll take that one. There’s so many ways we do this shit its either I write something and then send it to Voley and Voley does parts to it or Voley does something then sends it to me and I put electronics to it. Then we sit around with Marcus to write the vocal lines to it. So I guess the brains behind it when it comes to writing would be Me, Voley, and Marcus. Marcus doesn’t really help us though he just writes lyrics that we change later anyway. Jon writes the riffs but it doesn’t really help. I guess it would be me and Voley.
Josh: Yeah its DJ SKuBa and Voley. They’re the geniuses.
DJ SKuBa: Ironically, we never agree on shit. We’re like a married couple we fight a lot. He’s the woman.
Ha Ha why is that?
Josh: Why is that? because he has bigger boobs.
Is that the only reason?
DJ SKuBa: Yeah I don’t know. We write shit and argue a lot. Like we never agree on anything. If I like it he doesn’t and if he likes it I don’t. Then if we both like it, it ends up being awesome.
How many songs have you guys actually agreed on?
DJ SKuBa: Everything we’re playing. If we play it we most likely agree on it or part of it at least. Basically before we play it we sit there and argue for a few hours or days bang it out and shit. That’s it.
No comments:
Post a Comment