Domestic terrorism is a very real thing that we have been ignoring for years. The KKK is still an organization that is going on today. They are domestic terrorists. As are white supremacists. As are the "pro life" people who decide to harass people going into planned parenthood.
Let me tell you, as someone who use to go to PP for pap smears because I didn't have insurance and didn't have money to go to any other gyno who got called a child murderer just because I walked into and later out of a PP it's fucking terrifying. They don't listen to reason. They don't care WHY you are going. They automatically assume that you are going to have an abortion.
As someone who doesn't want children and has a higher risk for cancer, I am forever grateful for PP for helping to provide low cost health care. For providing low cost to free condoms. For providing low cost to free STI testing and medications to treat them. For providing birth control options for the myriad of reasons people use it (ie: I use it so I am not a ball of pain that can barely make it to the bathroom without crying every month for 2-5 days). For not treating me like I am a disgusting dirty person for having/enjoying sex or even disclosing that I have had sex in the past. For being reassuring to me. For giving me all the information to make an informed decision about my options for birth control. For not making me feel stupid for not knowing basic anatomy about my body because health classes taught me next to nothing about my body because I have a uterus and ovaries instead of a penis and balls. For being calm and patient and reassuring with me when I was scared as shit. For explaining things in a way that I could understand. For giving me resources to further get information on the Internet about my body.
Everyone who wants to demonize me or PP go for it. But I can be secure in knowing that I know more about my body than I ever would have otherwise.
No comments:
Post a Comment